Monday, April 21, 2008

Clothes?!


"OK class, write a narrative about CLOTHES."
"What?!"
"Clothes. And I don't want any boring facts about designers and materials. I want a story."
"But, Miss..."
"No 'buts'. I want it TOMORROW."
"What?!"
"Yes, better start writing now."
*everybody grumbles*
________________________________________________________________

Clothes! My teacher actually wants a story on CLOTHES!

Oh dear...how am I supposed to write a story about clothes? Of all things to choose from under the beautiful sky, she chose clothes! Aaaarghh!!! *pulls hair*
Well, of course she chose clothes, everyone chooses clothes, no?
Good point.
________________________________________________________________

Right, the time of frustration & despair is over. Gotta start making sense of what am I gonna write. But CLOTHES is just mind boggling...

Well, come to think of it: I think we've been taking clothes for granted all this while. We see clothes as part & parcel of life. We wrap ourselves with clothes for, well obvious reasons. Modesty for one & protection from the weather, maybe? *shrugs*

Right, the thing is, nobody actually spared much thought about clothes. I don't mean the time we spend looking at out wardrobe trying to decide what to wear. What I mean was none of us actually sat down and think of clothes like, really seriously think of it. What am I talking about?

Bottomline: Noone actually thought of writing an essay on CLOTHES!

Hmmm...so the challenge is thus: how to make CLOTHES into a story-material?

Shall I humanize clothes? Like, give them voices? Or shall I just write from a clothes-wearer/dresser's point of view?

Hmmm...I need inspiration.

0 comments: